Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > General Car Discussions > General Chat Lounge

Unread 07-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #1
bradleyheathhays
Cadet

Fan#: 4975
What I Drive: 2011 Crown Vic

bradleyheathhays Good Standing Member
'11 crown vic taking longer to start

Over the past few months the old vic has increasingly taken longer to start. Mostly she's been a strong starter, but about 3000 miles ago it started taking maybe half a second longer to start, and that start delay slowly increased until today I cranked for 3-4 sec and it didn't catch at all. Waited a few then cranked again for 2, let off, and it barely seemed to catch, but it started. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't start again the way it's progressed. Any idea what's going on? This car is new to me and I don't know much of it's history. Not all that familiar with crown vics either. 266k miles

Unread 07-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
When was the last time you put plugs in it? Modern plugs claim they can last 100K miles but that is in perfect conditions. I would do what is basically a modern version of a tune up, plugs, new coils, and new O2 sensors. That should cure your issue, if not, take to a shop somewhere because you have a major issue going on.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Unread 07-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
bradleyheathhays
Cadet

Thanks for the help. Just got this vehicle so not sure when the last tune up on it was.

Done plenty tune ups on my simple 4.0 Cherokee but not on this crown vic yet. Any advice on getting it done?

Would I just be replacing plugs, coils, and O2 sensors? I guess it has 2 O2 sensors, should I replace both?
Unread 07-24-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
bradleyheathhays
Cadet

To see if it was fuel pressure I tried a start sequence someone suggested, turning the key until the pump pressurizes 3-4 times then try to start. It actually started a good deal faster than the last almost no start, but not quite up to speed with it's usual fast start.

I've been told it could be either bad fuel check valves or a bad fuel pump. Wonder how you tell the difference?

Would think my next step is to get a fuel pressure reading at the rail.
Unread 07-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 2017 Mustang GT convertible

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
I guess it has 2 O2 sensors, should I replace both?
It's a ford so it has 4 O2 sensors. 2 that monitor the engine and tell the computer to adjust fuel and timing, these are in the exhaust manifold or just after. The other 2 are after the cats and tell the computer if your cats are there and working. If you only want to replace 2, then do the front ones that monitor fuel and timing, those are the important ones.

It could also be a clogged up fuel filter, so maybe just replace it when you do your tune up.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded
Unread 07-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
bradleyheathhays
Cadet

Lord I'll be glad when all this initial maintenance is done. Along w/ the tuneup I'll be checking fuel pressure. Have a pressure gauge from Oreileys but can't find a schrader valve anywhere on the fuel rail. Does this mean I have to hook it up just downstream of the fuel filter underneath the car?
Unread 07-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
bradleyheathhays
Cadet

Ok so I put in a new fuel filter and was able to frankenstein the pressure gauge in just downstream. First start was ok with the psi at 32, but after 5 min it dropped to 25 and after 10 it stayed settled at 22, 10 below the expected 32-33.

On the second start after the first key cycle psi read 10, second time read 30, third time about 50, and the last cycle it was about 60. Seems a little high to me but I don't know for sure. Started ok. Hitting the gas kind of hard made it jump 10 psi.

So is a reading 10 below the expected 32 psi a sure sign my pumps bad?